How many ingredients are there in McDonald’s French fries?
The first and most logic answer would be salt, potatoes and oil. But that answer is far, far from the truth and the reality.
In order to market a more health conscious image of McDonald’s Corp and utilize social media more effectively, McDonald’s began a transparency campaign. Any way, instead of talking about their love for the brand, the hashtag became a forum for people to talk about how disgusting the food is.
In attempt to convince its consumers, McDonald’s recently released a McRib video that, it’s not as bad for you as it seems, but they failed to talk about the toxic ingredients.
Furthermore, it turns out that there are 17 ingredients in Maccy D’s French fries! They contain:
- ”Natural flavor”: McDonald’s natural flavor is apparently obtained from a vegetable source, but the “natural” moniker means nothing since it can even potentially contain the nerve and braintoxin monosodium glutamate (MSG).
- Potatoes: (You would say, so far so good…until you watch the amazing video below)
- Dextrose: a type of sugar.
- Canola oil: Genetically Modified (GMO)
- Hydrogenated soybean oil: Once again, GMO! Plus the hydrogenation process makes the oil even more unhealthy than it would be in its natural form.
- Safflower oil: Inflammation is the root cause of most diseases . One of the quickest ways to become inflamed is by not eating enough Omega-3 fatty acids and eating too much Omega-6’s. Safflower oil contains a high level of Omega-6’s (10073 mg per tbsp) and absolutely 0 Omega-3’s!
- Dimethylpolysiloxane: You’ll find this in almost any fried fast food menu item and also in shampoo and conditioners, polishes, silly putty, contact lenses, caulking, cosmetics, heat resistant tiles, and the list goes on and on forever…
- Sodium acid pyrophosphate: This ingredient is apparently used to maintain the color of the fries. On the chemical industry’s own safety data sheets it is listed as hazardous for ingestion. It causes inflammation and over-consumption may cause elevated blood phosphorus levels, which may contribute to osteoporosis.
- TBHQ: A petroleum-based preservative. It has been connected with hormone disruption, asthma, skin conditions, and in long–term animal studies to cancer and damage to DNA. Incredibly, this additive can be found in 18 McDonald’s menu items. But don’t worry, even though it’s potentially lethal, the FDA says it’s generally regarded as safe (GRAS).
- Citric acid: This must mean that they’re using lemon juice? Maybe in a perfect world, but it’s likely that they’re taking the more profitable road like their corporate brothers and using GMO black mold.
- Vegetable oil for frying: which is a blend of 7 ingredients, including: soybean oil (GMO), citric acid (GMO), canola oil (GMO), corn oil (GMO), hydrogenated soybean oil with tert-butylhydroquinone (GMO), and dimethylpolysiloxane. Most of the ingredients are discussed above.
Michael Pollan, author of the The New York Times top five bestselling book, “Cooked”, in the video below tells a horrifying story about how McDonald’s French fries are made. If you are in a hurry and can’t wait for the whole video, you can skip ahead to 3:10 in the video and prepare to be shocked.